Run for Something Private Policy
Effective Date: August 1, 2018
What Information Does Run for Something Collect?
Information You Provide to Us
We receive and store any information you provide to us, such as when you register for our listserv, register to run for office, apply for endorsement, donate to Run for Something, make a purchase, or apply to become a volunteer or a mentor.
The types of personal data we may collect directly from you include the following:
- Contact information, such as your name, email address, mailing address, and phone number
- If you fill out our “Run for Office” form, we’ll ask for your race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, birthday, social media accounts, information on how you learned about Run for Something, and information on the office for which you are running, why you are running for office, and whether you have already filed to run
- If you donate to Run for Something or make a purchase, we’ll collect your payment information
- If you donate to Run for Something or apply to volunteer or mentor, we’ll request information about your qualifications
- We’ll collect any other information you choose to provide
Information Collected Automatically
Whenever you interact with our website, we automatically receive information from your browser or device, which may include your IP address, “cookie” information, the type of browser and/or device you’re using to access our Services, and the page or feature you requested. “Cookies” are identifiers that allow us to recognize your browser or device and tell us how and when pages and features in our Services are visited and by how many people. We also use web beacons, which are electronic images that help deliver cookies, count visits, and understand usage and campaign effectiveness, including whether an email was opened.
Third Party Analytics Services
We use third party analytics services to better understand user engagement with the Services. When you browse or use the Services, these third-party analytics services may collect your IP address, browser type, and approximate location (based on the IP address). They may also set and access cookies on your computer or other device.
How Does Run for Something Use the Information It Collects?
We use the information we collect to make our Services available to you, to contact you, to allow like-minded organizations to contact you, and to better understand how you use the Services. We may also use the information we collect to:
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services;
- Detect, investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of Run for Something and others;
- Customize content for you that we think you might like, based on your usage patterns, and generally to improve the Services; and
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
How Does Run for Something Share the Information It Collects?
Unless you opt out, we will share information about you with our partners, organizations that support progressive candidates, and other like-minded organizations. If you would like to opt out of our sharing information in this manner, please email us at email@example.com.
We will also share information about you as follows:
- We share your personal information with other companies, organizations, or people to perform tasks on our behalf and at our direction. For example, we use third parties to process donations and online purchases, and we may use third party hosting providers or software developers to help implement and maintain the Services.
- If we are involved in a reorganization, merger, acquisition or sale of our assets, your information may be transferred as part of that deal. We will notify you of any such deal and outline your choices in that event.
- We may share your personal information with your consent and at your direction.
What Choices Do I Have?
Sharing Your Information
If you would like to opt out of our sharing information about you with like-minded organizations, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Communications from Us
You can email email@example.com to stop receiving communications from us, or to update or delete the personal information that Run for Something has collected about you. You can also opt out of receiving email updates from Run for Something by clicking the “unsubscribe” link in those updates. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as emails about your account.
Rejecting and Deleting Cookies
You may be able to change the preferences on your browser or device to prevent or limit your device’s acceptance of cookies, but this may prevent you from taking advantage of some of our features.
Where is Run for Something Based?
Run for Something is based in the United States and we process and store information in the United States and may process and store information in other countries in the future. By using the Services, you consent to the transfer of your information to the United States, which may provide a lesser standard of protection than your home country.
Does Run for Something Collect Personal Information from Children?
We do not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from anyone under the age of 16. If you are under 16, please do not provide any personal information about yourself to us. If you believe that a child under 16 may have given us personal information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What if I Have Questions About This Policy?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this Policy, please don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.