Run for Something recruits and supports young progressives running for local political office in the United States. Since launching in January 2017, we have recruited more than 19,000 potential political candidates; endorsed more than 600; and had 420 candidates on the November 2018 ballot alone. We are an ambitious, hungry team seeking to change the face of politics in America. As the Press Secretary, you will play a pivotal role in making that happen by helping to showcase the organization, its candidates, and staff to external audiences. You’ll work closely with the Chief Communications Officer, Digital Communications Manager, and other staff throughout the organization to manage media operations and build sustainable press relationships that can serve as a model and resource for other organizations in our network.
The successful candidate will be highly organized, demonstrate superb judgment, and be passionate about creatively solving problems. No task will be too big or small to be done well.
- Process inbound press requests in a timely matter and coordinate with appropriate staff to set up interviews.
- Assist the CCO in building relationships with media stakeholders.
- Draft and pitch written materials with the goal of positioning RFS as a leader and effective partner in the progressive space.
- Provide counsel and prepare staff and candidates on media relations and messaging.
- Manage media monitoring and metrics records.
- Plan and execute earned media events.
- Lead broadcast booking efforts.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to see the “big picture” while managing multiple detailed projects at once.
- Commitment to the mission of the organization.
- Self-driven, can execute at a high level without much oversight.
- Scrappy, has the ability to take on big tasks with limited resources.
- A sense of humor.
- Creative problem-solver.
- Mindset that no task is too small.
- A natural sense of curiosity.
- We value diversity at our organization. Women, people of color, trans/genderqueer, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are especially encouraged to apply. RFS is an equal opportunity employer.
- Experience with Meltwater, Cision, Excel/Google sheets/Airtable, and Slack.
- Experience with graphic design and video editing.
- Knowledge of working on down ballot races and local electoral politics.
- Startup experience preferred.
This is a remote position that can be based anywhere in the continental United States. You should be prepared to work from home or in a professional office environment as the organization evolves.
The salary range for this position is $55,000-65,000 a year, commensurate with experience. RFS offers health insurance, dental, vision, professional development stipend, and unlimited paid time off.
To apply, please fill out and submit the form at https://airtable.com/shrwfB0MjAAQMtdrS.