(Alt headline: The resistance will be Google Doc’d.)
Find below all our running google docs of resources for local candidates. We’ll continue updating as we go!
- Run for Something: A Real-Talk Guide to Fixing the System Yourself – Our book by Amanda Litman, cofounder of Run for Something
- A BEGINNER’S GUIDE: HOW TO FILE & FIND THE INFO YOU NEED – How to pick an office and how to file to get on the ballot
- ALL THE OFFICIAL “SECRETARIES OF STATE” LINKS – A starting point for finding local information for your state.
- ONLINE TOOLS FOR CANDIDATES – A complete list of free/cheap resources you can use during your campaign
- ALL THE TRAININGS WE KNOW ABOUT – An exhaustive database of every training we know about, searchable by demographic, state, and cost
- 2018 STATE LEVEL OFFICE FILING DEADLINES
SPECIFIC TACTICAL QUESTIONS
- VENDORS & CONSULTANTS 101 – How to know what you need vendors for and what different payment plans mean.
- RFS GUIDE TO SOCIAL MEDIA GRAPHICS – A just-for-RFS candidates guide to using Canva to create social media graphics. Note the log-in credentials on page two!
- HOW TO USE FACEBOOK LIVE – Written by Hillary for America video professionals, a quick & dirty guide to how to use Facebook live to make campaign videos.
- A GUIDE TO YOUTUBE DIRECTOR APP – A new app you can use to make professional-looking videos for your campaign.
- ADS 101 – What kind of ads you might use for your campaign and a few tips for Facebook ads in particular.
- CREATING GREAT ADS — a more in depth look at creating great content to engage your voters.
- EMAIL 101 — How do you write high quality emails? How do you engage your list? How often?
- POLICY TRAINING: You can click here to listen to the audio from our policy training — or read our “policy 101” guide here.
- POLICY GUIDES: Links to briefing books and talking points from the pros
You can also watch replays of our summer policy webinar series:
- Education Policy
- Criminal Justice Reform
- Building An American Economy That Works For All
- Communicating Climate Policy on the Campaign Trail
- Healthcare 101
- Immigration Policy
CAMPAIGN 101 VIDEO SERIES
- Campaign Boot Camp 2.0: Basic Training for Future Leaders by Christine Pelosi (2007)
- Running for Office: The Strategies, Techniques and Messages Modern Political Candidates Need to Win Elections by Ronald A. Faucheux (2002)
- The Art of the Political Campaign: How to Run for Elected Office With No Money by Brian Duewel (2013)
- The Political Campaign Desk Reference: A Guide for Campaign Managers by Michael McNamara (2012)
- How to Run for Local Office: A Complete Guide for Winning a Local Election by Robert J. Thomas (second edition, 2008)
- How to Run for Political Office and Win: Everything You Need to Know To Get Elected by Melanie Williamson (2012)
- Winning Your Election the Wellstone Way: A Comprehensive Guide for Candidates and Campaign Workers by Jeff Blodgett (2008)
Got additions to this list? DM @rfs_sarah on Slack or email her – firstname.lastname@example.org